Friday, June 17, 2011

1 month!

So, I've been here going on a month now...
and I've now had many moments where I've thought, "Yeah, i could live here for 2 years" and those have been very exciting! I'm back from visiting my site where I'll be living in a month, for the next two years! It was an interesting visit and I got such luxuries as riding in a car on the way there and electricity and sometimes running water! It was indeed an epic moment! And I saw my future living situation, a neat little boarding house on the top of a hill with my own little room and a common kitchen and bathrooms. It was quite a moment after having my sometimes-functioning toilet in my guest quarters, to be excited to see a pit latrine at my future residence. A hole never fails!!
But I'm excited to start my project working with the kiddies! I'm not real sure WHAT I'll be doing and I'm sure I'll be creating a lot of it from the ground up! this will be a challenge...and an opportunity! more on this to come!
Must go study for our LPI (Language Proficiency ....Interrogation?) Not sure what the 'I' stands for, but interrogation is pretty accurate from my prospective! We shall see, wish me LUCK!

2 comments:

JCatcher said...

Good Luck! With your vast language knowledge, I am positive you are going to get and A++...or whatever is necessary to pass :-) Love your updates, and yay for the pit latrine...I know a lady in NH who wants to build one in her backyard. Miss you!

Jackie <3

Shirley Gambrell said...

Rachel, we are so glad that we found your blog. Wonderful to hear what is happening with you. We feel much better now that we know you will be with the Dominican Nuns. Rick, Pam, Ellen and Joey have been here for a week so we have been having fun with them. Granddaddy is getting together some vegetable seeds to send you as soon as we have an address. Take care. You are always in our thoughts. Love, Granddaddy and Grans