Wednesday, July 27, 2011

freedom!

Yesterday saw a refreshing change of pace that will be my future! Apparently, my location A.D.D. is just as present here in Rwanda. Luckily, I think the life of a PCV and my project and life will satisfy it. Yesterday, I got to have adventure time with my friend Alex, the 2nd nearest PCV, and the nearest from my group! Twas lovely! I didn't really have a reason to be down there, so I'm glad I asked the priests about it and hitched a ride down there! I got a free meal (which is a blessing in these days of infinite toast, ramen, and random veggies with little sauce over rice). AND I got to go on a hike up a hill and we found a spot to chill and chat on rocks. It was awesome! So that took up my whole day yesterday and today I'm just doing some cleaning (incl. my awful giant pile of laundry) and making my kinyarwanda study plans and working on my budget and setting things up for my day tomorrow in Kigali -the magical place of iced coffee, pizza and free wifi! They discourage us from spending too much time there since it is such a muzungu place (white people) and also, NOT our sites. Makes sense, but making it the forbidden land I think creates even more appeal. That could also just be my contrary nature. Can't help it, totally inherited that one from my dear mother. Unfortunately for Dad, we all did.

Triumph of the day- finding eggs! it only took 2 weeks! but it did require a change in perspective and talking to the right people. I was going about looking for them the muzungu way, searching in shops and asking the owners...NOT the way to do it here. I was having tea and introducing on of the umucozi's (houseperson) to Peanut Butter (which they always LOVE) and asking her what she was up to for the day. She said she was making an omlette and lunch for some guests of the parish. So I asked where she was gonna buy the eggs and she looked at me like i was dumb and answered "from the priests [duh]" who just live up the hill. So I asked her if she could pick some up for me and she's replied, "of course, how many do you want"...wow. so easy...IF i can get things the Rwandan way. consider this lesson learned.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Rachel!!

Your adventures sound so amazing!!! I am incredibly impressed by you and all that you are doing! You my dear are amazing :)

Donna