Monday, March 5, 2012

A whole new world...

So I went from one corner of Rwanda to the other this past weekend, quite literally over the river and through the woods. (Nyungwe Forest Nat'l. Park to be exact) From the far Northeast to the absolute Southwest. It was such a beautiful and refreshing change of pace...complete with view of Lake Kivu and the Congo. I don't know if it's the forbidden-ness of it all or all the potential for good work to do there, but the Congo is like Neverland. (possibly complete with a disappearance). But in all seriousness, I liked the possibility and promise of it all. Long story short, there is a possibility on the table now of moving sites to this land of green and hills. There is truly a lot of potential at this new site. The volunteer that has been there is truly amazing. She has laid a lot of amazing groundwork and built a lot of relationships in her two years here. It'd be difficult to fill her shoes, but I also think she has created a lot of opportunities for me to come in and do great things. I have to figure out though now if I'm ready to start all over. New community, new living situation, new work. After all this time, am I ready to jump in a health center? What could I do for them there? Would it be enough to fulfill me? Would it fill all the holes I've felt in the past 8 months?

Also for the moment, grad school is still an option. There are many options. I still have to get in but if I do, things will be trickier. I just have to figure out which option will do the most for me in the year. It's only one year but it's seeming like one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. I'm off now to brainstorm on how to navigate the meeting I'm having with my Peace Corps program manager to discuss this all.

No comments: