Thursday, April 19, 2012

a break

So I'm sure this post won't be quite as entertaining as my list because really, what's more amusing than absurd marriage proposals?
BUT! I'm in the lovely frame of mind that comes with an impending vacation. It's funny how much that can lift the spirits. I don't know if it's the change of pace, change of scenery or the excuse to not get the cheapest thing on the menu, but I'm excited. It doesn't take much for me to feel like I'm on vacation here. The opportunity to sit around with free wifi and a coffee pretty much feels like a vacation. I'm enjoying both of those currently and planning an excellent weekend break to Gisenyi on Lake Kivu. I'll bask in lounge chairs and overlook volcanoes in the Congo. I hear the rebels can't make it across the lake at the moment so I should be grand! I'm going with my dear friend Danae and we plan to begin our adventure with coffee talks and pedicures. Of all the things that are available to me in the capital of Rwanda, these two are probably my favorites. So we'll enjoy those and have a mini break on the lake! I'll likely come back with a nasty sunburn, no matter how hard I try and avoid it. The African sun is surprising unrelenting! Who knew equatorial Africa would be like that? It also probably doesn't help that on the lake I'll be able to do scandalous things like exposing my knees and shoulders. They get burned a lot easier when they haven't seen the light of day in 11 months. Sometimes I give 'em a breather in kigali where the more scantily clad muzungus make me feel demure by comparison. I'll enjoy it all and take some pictures that I might even post if I'm back here with fast enough internet! Sorry for the lack of them, their posting is replete with issues. I just don't have the patience to wait 14 hrs. for them to load. I'm sorry that you are the ones who suffer, although my sunburn is probably not exactly what you're scouring the interwebz for anyway. Hope the promise of summer in your necks of the woods is doing as much for you as my vacation is here!

No comments: