Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Back to RWANDA!

Here we go, again! I'm back to the wilds of Rwanda! I was pretty sure it was coming. When I did my research on this program at Trinity, I knew they had a connection with NUR (the National University of Rwanda) and I was fine with that. As crazy as my relationship had been with Rwanda, we had our ups & downs, love/hate moments & if it had to be described on Facebook could only be under the heading "it's complicated".
But I figured, hey, language experience, knowledge of the transport system, cultural quirks and ready responses to the MUZUNGU call...this could all only be in my favor!
We got news half-way through the year that we would significantly more options thanks to all our MDP (Masters in Development Practice) network partners. Tanzania, Bangladesh, Uganda, Sierra Leone, and Brazil, were suddenly on the table. As much as I was anxious to see a new place and get another experience under my belt the best project for me was in Rwanda.
I'm going to be working with Trocaire, an Irish development organization that does extensive work in Africa. Silly people have entrusted me with the very serious task of evaluating social welfare programs in Rwanda for vulnerable populations....a lot of development buzzwords and not a whole lot of meaning. We'll see how that goes...in the meantime, I'm also supposed to be gathering research for my Masters thesis/dissertation/thingy. (It shows how ready I am for that considering I don't even know its proper title!)
But BRING IT ON!
I know what to pack this time (lots of sunscreen, bug spray and spices!) I've got my maxi dresses ready for my culturally appropriate NON-knee bearing and the pit latrines and I've revived my little blog for the next adventure. So let's go!

No comments: