Thursday, June 6, 2013

Packing

I'm not sure if I've ever done a post or not on packing, seems like just the sort of thing I'd do...avoid the actual act of packing by writing about it. You'd think with the number of times I've had to pack up my life to move or travel that I'd be used to it by now, maybe even get excited about it as a part of my travelling ritual...if i had one, which i don't.
But I love the flying, I love airports (odd, i know) and I even get oddly excited in the bustle of public transport on my way to the airport, knowing that the next adventure awaits me. I'm about to embark on something new and everything else is just another obstacle in the process. I revel in beating the lines and mastering the self-service kiosk, having all the paperwork at hand, ready for check-in and my cute passport cover. I pat myself on the back for having my liquids at the top of my bag, my belt off, bobby pins out and jacket off as I go through security, falling in easily behind all the business travelers who know the drill. Then I strut through the terminal, iced latte (or hot, depending on time of year, eggnog for Christmas, obv). With my well-packed rolling bag, noise-cancelling headphones...i love it. I love it!
BUT packing!!!! BAH! bane of my existence! My arch-nemesis!
The list of things that I can do that are NOT packing is endless...
I mean, I have to do all the pre-packing shopping..that can carry on for days.
I have to pack up my things that AREN'T coming with.
I have to clean all my clothes so that I 'have to' run around naked for a few days before I go.
I have to get copies of keys made...then color code with my nail polish.
I have to go have picnics
I have to go see Shakespeare plays in parks
I have to have a pre-departure sushi night
I have to accompany other people on their pre-packing shopping
I have to do paint swatch projects from pinterest
I have to re-watch all of Game of Thrones
I have to catch up on Modern Family and New Girl
I have to do & re-do my hair several times a day just for fun
I have to paint my nails....

As you can see, I'm far too busy to pack until a few hours before I fly out. I accept my conditions though, I always say, "I've got my passport, money and ticket, I can live without everything else." At which point someone usually retorts with "clothes, underwear?" and I simply reply, "completely optional"



No comments: