Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Rachel rates

It's no great secret that I am a big fan of bargaining anywhere I can. On occasion, I just want to see a price, accept the price, and pay said price. However, most of the time, I derive significantly more satisfaction from haggling over what often amounts to 10 to 50 cents. It may not seem like much and it may even seem petty to some, but I have several reasons for fighting for those 18 cents.
  1. It's all part of the culture...in some places, they even get offended if you don't join in on the fun.  I always call to mind an awesome interaction with an old Chinese woman over 1 kuai (1/7 of a dollar) for a fake Coach wallet. By the end, we were both cracking up and hugging after the exchange, appreciating each other's false resolve.
  2. While price discrimination may seem like a dirty word, it makes sense economically, if you're willing to spend the time and energy to fight for the price you think you should be paying, you should pay it, it's just another type of opportunity cost. (For those not into Econ- blah blah, paying, blah blah, rachel's a cheapskate justifying herself, blah.)
  3. I'm doing it for the benefit of all muzungus. (She says to herself magnanimously) Many in Rwanda (and elsewhere) assume all Americans just have money to burn. While I recognize that even the poor in America are on average better off than the poor elsewhere, it doesn't diminish their difficulties. I make it a point to explain that not everyone in America is rich AND that life is in general, much more expensive there. So while I can't explain purchasing power parities, I can give them the price of a pair of shoes (or a college education) and absolutely blow their minds! The most difficult part of them assuming we're all rich is that they feel they then have the right to constantly ask for things (money, pens, bananas, and once, chocolate...uh buh?!) Now most of the people who are asking don't even need these things, they're just sooo used to foreigners coming in and giving things that they figure, "eh, can't hurt to ask" and this is equally true in price negotiations. Moto rides are a perfect example... now, we've recently noticed that sometimes Rwandans don't even negotiate a price before the ride, they simply state the destination, make sure the driver's not drunk, grab a helmet and hop on. I was taught however, to always predetermine price beforehand. Moto drivers in Kigali have chosen the arbitrary price of 1000 francs as the initial offer for anywhere in Kigali. The final price (and price one should pay) could be anywhere from 300-800 francs but because they see my skin (or general, non-Rwandanness) they just start at 1000 to see if they can get the silly foreigner to pay that much. I often have to laugh in their face or walk away OR even pit them against each other to get them down to a reasonable price or one I'm willing to pay. I figure if I make them realize that not all muzungus will just pay whatever, maybe they won't try to rip us off as often... and yes, I also realize this may be a futile effort. 
  4. Finally, while I may annoy many of my fellow travelers, I really do enjoy the process. I feel like both of us are benefiting from the exchange and we've gotten a nice little dose of human interaction for the day. 
This being said, not everyone enjoys the process as much, some not at all. Often my friends are exasperated by my refusal to pay above a certain price when they won't budge. And they're justifiably annoyed or hesitant to tell me how much they've paid for things they've just gotten from a local craftsman or market mama. I try not to be annoying about it, cause I know it can seem condescending, but really it's just differences in shopping style and hey, you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't think it was worth that amount so we're all just paying what we think we should...I just happen to think I should always pay a Rachel rate...or a bit less, but I'll also always be willing to fight for it, it's one of the few fights I actually enjoy!  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am just like this in China, but I'm absolutely terrified to do it anywhere else. Combination of comfort, experience, and language barrier I guess. But I've used all these same arguments on laowai in the silk markets, and then have been the awkwardly embarassed foreigner in other places.

Rach said...

Ha yeah. You never quite know when they'll fly...but totally do-able in Brazil!! Especially the giant market in Salvador!