Saturday, August 20, 2011

how snickerdoodles= sense of accomplishment

20/8
Not gonna lie, today is a day I've been very proud of me!! I baked for the first time in my PC oven. I'm not entirely sure why this brought on such a sense of accomplishment, but I'm not gonna question it. It made me remember, yes, THIS is why I joined the Peace Corps. I wanted to try things another way. I knew other ways were possible, but I wanted to experience them. The funny part is, I'm still an American, doing American things. I'm baking snickerdoodles...but I'm doing it in a way that's much more difficult, I guess. I had to hunt and get my ingredients from many different places, and figure out what temp my oven cooks at, and figure out how long they'd actually take to make, and how much of things to add without having my measuring things.
It makes me wonder what gene makes me want to make things more difficult for myself...did I not get enough out of my daily life in America? I think it comes down to my constant quest of self-improvement. I guess I consider this improvement process incomplete without these challenges. The challenges of living here are mostly ones I couldn't even imagine when I began this whole adventure. I think I was signing up half out of curiosity...this was all a big question mark and I had to see what was behind door number 1. Even when I want to walk right back through the door (which Peace Corps makes all too easy)...I think of the question mark that is the next day, the next week, the next month, the next 2 years. I'm curious to see what's there and I think I always will be. Maybe that's why I have to travel, because until I go there, until I see it, touch it, smell it, taste it for myself, it's still just an object of my constant curiosity. Some days I curse my curiosity, but mostly, I can't imagine living my life without it.

No comments: