Saturday, August 13, 2011

Nunsense!

12/8
*Nunsense! It's habit forming! Nunsense!* (sung...obviously!)
First and foremost, I must take this moment to thank Lynn O'Brien for bringing me to see Nunsense the Musical all those years ago. I still find myself singing the title song, mostly because it's the only one I remember...but it makes me happy because it reminds me of my wonderful nuns here. The community has embraced me and brought me into their fold so quickly and effortlessly. Since I started working at the pre-school this week, if they don't see me at breakfast or taking tea or having lunch with them, I get a talking-to or a call. I love it.
It's nice to have somewhere where I am appreciated as a person and not a muzungu. They don't stare at me. They let me help with dishes. They're happy to see me when I'm there and ask where I was when I'm gone. I think I also appreciate them so much because the atmosphere reminds me of the HER House...which I miss so much. The value of living with a family can not be overstated, even if that family takes many different forms. I don't think I was meant to live alone. I love walking into a loud kitchen, a full table and intense discussions. It's part of the big family raising (although here my family size would be average to small).
They love learning about me and my life. They're all African but they're from all over the place so they have the common experience of foreigners in Rwanda. They have difficulty with kinyarwanda sometimes, too. It's a wonderful group of vibrant women that I'm happy just to sit around with. That's also part of the appeal. I have somewhere to sit around and chat about life, share a cup of tea and just enjoy life. This is my first, though not likely my last, note of appreciation for them.
Tomorrow I go to visit Danae and I could NOT be more excited for a chance to spend more than just a few hours with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

after reading your latest entries, i find myself crying. not sure why, ahaha and i think it is definitely a positive cry but i'm just feeling a lot from your posts. you have developed such a wonderful filter; it is as if all experiences are teaching you, blessing you, helping you along. what a breath of fresh air you are and thank you so much for finding a way to share your light with those at home. i am deeply proud of you and i'd love to have your new address! (or did you post it here and i just missed it?) <3

glad to hear that you read back through old journals and were able to get that perspective of the orientation period in Rwanda. yes, what a roller coaster, culture shock, a total upside down flip on your life! BUT, once again, your gifts prevailed: creating happiness and a working lifestyle in any situation. making connections. there is a beautiful simplicity emerging out of your relationships with the nuns and what you are learning from the students - i hear the truth in the way you appreciate their company and i'm so glad.

also, nunsense was hilarious. kudos to my mommy for turning me on to the show.

xoxxoxoxoxooxox all love
-your 8th grade bff

p.s. remember when we got "best friends" in high school and i had felicity hair? holllller.