Sunday, January 1, 2012

and all that jazz...

So America is great. and completely overwhelming. Choices for dinner, choices for shows, choices for movies, choices for your coffee. At lunch with my grandparents I had 6, count 'em 6! different choices for my pulled chicken sandwich. ( I tackled this particular problem by using 3 different ones together.)
This has been my basic overall strategy to try and wrap my head around all the choices we have here. Avoid making choices and have a bit of everything. It's been pretty effective minus the occasional stomach ache as a result of embracing too many options, particularly at meal times. But it's been amazing. I love choices. Variety is the spice and I think in my next year now that I'm comfy with the basics that I'm gonna try and find the variety I know is present even in tiny Rwanda.
Now that I'm on my way out, I know I'm gonna miss the flush toilets and the hot showers and listening to my music and dancing and singing in the shower...BUT mostly I'm gonna miss all the amazing people in my life. There's a lot of them and I've come to value them so much for all the support they've given me over the past 8 months and especially in my time at home. They are such a source of joy and inspiration. They keep me going for so many reasons and in so many ways. They're even better than a hot shower and indoor plumbing.

No comments: